Wednesday, September 19, 2018

6 hour Quilt Class.....and painting!!


Well, I've been a bit remiss with the blogs lately...I got a sudden burst of energy having been unwell for many months and am rushing around doing all the things you can't do when you have no energy!!

I started a new series of paintings....it's a result of walking at dawn every day in the summer - which is the BEST time of day to be outside for SURE!!  At least in the south east of the US.

I took a lot of photos, and am trying to figure out how to create the effect of light on the trees....
I was very much taken with a poem called The Waking by Theodore Roethke and all the images it conveys.    It seemed like it brought together some of my thoughts on the dawn walks and my delight at my renewed energy ...and I wanted to make art about it!

Not sure how to do that with fiber, so figured I'd start with watercolor.
I've uploaded quite a few images to my watercolor page.    Scroll down to see them all....this is my morning walk!




The Six Hour Quilt Class

I'm starting my six hour quilt class again this Friday with Academy of quilting   run by a lady who is now a good friend even though we've never met!!!  Plus it's good to have a boss at the opposite end of the earth!!
The Six Hour quilt class is a very fast paced class (though obviously you can take it at any speed you like) with one hour for each of the six crucial steps in quilt making.  It does assume that you can run a sewing machine  and know the basics of sewing two small pieces of cloth together but you don't need to know much more than that.  You design your quilt, choose your fabric (all from your current stash! - no extras needed), cut it up, sew it back together, quilt it and finish it....every step is clearly outlined and illustrated with short video clips from an actual class I ran in my studio last summer...nobody in the class had ever made a quilt before!  
it's a good class if you don't have much time, but want to try your hand at an art quilt, or if you want to try quilting for the first time but don't want to be bothered with rules and minutiae!!  Or if you'd like to see how to teach a one day class for your guild!   Happy to answer any questions....

Happy looking! Happy sewing!!!
And, if you have been, thanks for reading!!!   Elizabeth


1 comment:

MELANIE MCNEIL said...

Just stopped in to see what I missed while offline for a while. I hope you're feeling better and more energetic. The 6-hour class sounds like fun.

Melanie