Monday, August 27, 2018

An abstract moment!

No! your five year old could not have painted that abstract picture!!!
 Abstract painting  is actually quite sophisticated even when apparently simple...

In a way all painting is abstraction - if you think about it.....


 

Even a fairly literal painting like the one above has many abstract qualities...I've abstracted the colors of the new spring leaves...and then massed the shapes into large soft areas...I've played with the push pull of the dark versus the light..I've created a basic vertical structure but added dynamism with the diagonal lines...some going upwards, others grounding.... and the diagonals balance out so we don't have a sense of falling...

I find I get SO many quilt ideas from looking at abstract paintings.  From some you can "steal" the structure, from others, the color palette, from others a detail will suggest a motif.














It's so much fun!!! If you're interested in learning more....then I'm starting an Abstract Art for Quiltmakers class this Friday with academyofquilting.com

I often begin my abstract work by looking at art...then I'll play piano a bit, or go swimming and see what aspect of the art stayed in my mind.....and then do some sketches, or value studies...to see how things will work out.

Life is good, right??? when the creative juices are flowing.......
if you have been, thanks for reading!   Elizabeth




No comments: