Monday, June 3, 2019

Art Quilt show in a public gallery


Last week I took 9 quilts and about 20 watercolors over to the Regional public library and they were hung and arranged by Tatiana Veneruso, an art installation expert with Athens-Clarke County.
She and Van Burns spent over 4 hours hanging and arranging the work and it's a beautiful job.
The library was also kind enough to give me an opportunity to speak about my work and this was followed by a reception.

It's always interesting to see how somebody who has arranged and hung many shows decides to arranges your work.

I had planned the paintings on one wall, the quilts on the others, but it's kind of fun to see them hanging together.

The arrangements are very interesting and it's a beautiful long narrow light room...and any library patrons can wander in and curl up in the comfortable armchairs, read and enjoy the artwork.

 some pictures:










So tell me what you think about mixing the two mediums in one show.....also ...any stories about your own experiences with hanging in public spaces.   I have always preferred having a show in a space where many people visit, rather than in a specialized gallery where few go.

And, if you have been, thanks for reading!!!!  Elizabeth

PS if you've been wanted to learn improvisational piecing...or how to design a Modern Quilt...consider my class starting this Friday with academyofquilting.com

Questions?  contact me:  elizabethyork100 AT yahoo.com


6 comments:

The Idaho Beauty said...

Yeesh - I think this looks quite horrid. All that installation apparatus blatantly showing and the framed work placed too close to the textile pieces. Since I have been exhibiting in shows that include all kinds of mediums, I've gotten used to my textile work being placed next to framed photographs and paintings. I think it makes the overall exhibit much more interesting than on the occasions that they group each medium together.

My worst horror story happened not that long ago. The Arts Council I exhibit with had new staff which hung all the textile pieces by inserting pushpins in the corners, even the pieces that had sleeves and dowels. I was furious because some of my pieces have fabric fused to a heavy interfacing and holes from pins do not disappear.

Sue K said...

I also find the installation apparatus distracts from the work. Also agree about the bulge. We had a similar problem hanging another exhibit at a very big show last fall. Bulges! I do like the juxtaposition of your paintings and quilts, however.

Claire said...

The same thing that allows me to take a photo and not notice a trash can in the front (till later, of course) allowed me to totally ignore the hanging apparatus.In a library, I'd guess more viewers are like me than like you, who are more professional.

I too think combining the mediums emphasizes the artness of the quilts.

And I'm signed up :-)

Unknown said...

I, like Claire, tend not to see the trash can in the middle of a wonderful scene, and while the hanging apparatus was distracting, it did recede into the background for me.
What I noticed was the perfectly symmetrical way the groups of pieces were hung - so perfectly- and boringly - symmetrical; when it could have been quirky and fun.
But great to have your work shown - and such interesting and different work it is too.

Kristin said...

I love your quilts and paintings. I browsed through this collection twice thinking about the question you asked. Personally, I think I would prefer all the quilts in one collection and the paintings in another. I think it would make the collection of each as a body of work stand out in a stronger way. I also did not care for the hanging method used.

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Elizabeth, I'm not really a fan of the hanging system but, like you said, you can't always be picky in a public space. However, I do like the paintings and art quilts mixed together. I will be taking your Working in a Series class later this summer. I've heard great things about your classes and am looking forward to it :-)