Friday, January 29, 2010

Festival of Quilts, UK

 

ferrybridge I just received word that I will be giving a two day workshop on design, and a lecture at the Festival of Quilts, in Birmingham, England this August.

Design and Composition in Art Quilts (2 day class) 
Tuesday 17th and Wednesday 18th August 9.30am to 4.30pm

Working in a Series (lecture
Thursday 19th August, 11.30am to 12.30pm.

 

Then, with Dominie Nash, I’ll be showing quilts in one of the galleries at the Exhibition site: from 10am to 5.30pm on Thursday 19th through to 5pm  on Sunday 22nd August.

This will be my first time working in a big Festival so it will be very energizing and different;  I’ll have to talk very fast to concentrate information that I usually give over several days into the smaller time format required for pre-quilt show conference workshops, but there will be a terrific buzz of excitement in the air that I’m sure will get the creative juices sparkling high into the air!

milltownmorning

It is also the first time I will have taught in England. Every country has a different aesthetic and it will be fascinating to see how this comes out both in the workroom and in the quilts in the show.  Despite all the hassles involved, travel always broadens and deepens our knowledge, our inspirational well and our understanding.

 IMG_1909
  Since my trip to Iona and Knoydart (Western Scotland) last year I’ve not been able to stop painting watercolours of sea and sky and distant blurry mountains and islands!!  I wonder what repetitive activity the trip to Birmingham will lead to! 

 

The artistic differences  between countries are based on the light, the landscape, the weather, the building materials and the history – lots to absorb and cogitate upon.

I decided too to take a class myself whilst over the in UK, and having discovered what wonderful possibilities there are, I wish I could stay longer.  Taking a class and learning something new in a new place from someone with a very different background will inspire me far more than sight seeing in London, or shopping on Oxford street!

Go forth and learn!
And, if you have been, thanks for reading!  Elizabeth

PS  please email me if you want to know any details about the class or lecture, or anything else! or make a comment – love comments! – thank you.  e

7 comments:

Jackie said...

I'm excited for you!!! Hooray for new energy, not that you seem to need any, but, certainly--'Go forth and learn!" That's what life is all about, isn't it?

Terry Jarrard-Dimond said...

Congratulations on your involvement in the Festival. This sounds like an exciting opportunity!

Marianne said...

Je me réjouis déjà pour votre conférence , elle est notée dans mon agenda

Elizabeth Barton said...

I'll take all the energy I can get! Thank you, Jackie.
To Terry: If I'd known you before, I would have said "come show with me!"
and to Marianne:
Je suis heureuse a vous voir en auot! (si, quelquechose comme ca!)

Terry Jarrard-Dimond said...

Thanks E, You will be so wonderful they will want you back! BTW, I really like the pieces you have on your page right now. The complexity here is working for you A+.

Unknown said...

See you at your lecrure then!

Sandra Wyman said...

Look forward to meeting you in person! And greetings from Yorkshire.