Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Spot the art quilter!




Eight Art Quilters sitting in a row at the Cloisters, NYC last week.   A gorgeous day.....and a wonderful place.  We were in New York to see the somewhat controversial Metropolitan costume show called Heavenly Bodies - garments created by high fashion designers based on ecclesiastical garments.  The garments based on the monks' outfits in flowing simple elegant lines.... black velvet or fine wool rather than coarse sackcloth.... were the most striking...I wonder if next year's fashion will be nuns' habits for all!!!

All of the above people have been in Quilt National and Visions and many other shows...see how many you can identify!!!

Anybody feeling short of inspiration should visit their local museum or art gallery - I came away with so many ideas from the Met 20th century paintings galleries.  Many of the works actually would be stronger if realized in fabric!

  There's also a Miriam Schapiro retrospective at MAD (Museum of Art and Design)....lots of fused and glued and  glazed with acrylic...and they looked very fine!!!  Onward!!

I look forward to seeing how many you can identify!!!   And, if you have been, thanks for reading....
Elizabeth

6 comments:

Kristin said...

I've been to the Cloisters - 50 or so years ago! I'm afraid the only one I recognize in the photo is you...

Elizabeth Barton said...

I'd been about 20 years ago in January!! so it was lovely to amble up through the park from the subway and then sit in their pretty gardens....as you can see a lot of chatting was done!!

Unknown said...

A short walk from my apartment :-)

Elizabeth Barton said...

Hi Vicky! That's a lovely area....we really enjoyed walking up from the subway station......Elizabeth

Unknown said...

So, who are the artists I missed? :-(

Elizabeth Barton said...

From the left: Randy Frost, BJ Adams, Linda Levin, Dominie Nash, me, Deb Anderson, Tafi Brown