Sunday, November 15, 2015

Giving presents!

Toulouse

We're getting near the present giving season again...and I've already got it all sorted out!
I decided to give each of  the grandchildren 3 things:
something sensible (clothes usually - incredibly LARGE ones!),
something sweet that they'll enjoy (yes, Mom has given the okay) and then..
.an artwork...to start their own personal art collection.

When my girls reached 21, I didn't give them jewelry or a bright red sports car (ha!), but rather a painting by the artist of their choice (local, living... not Picasso or Monet!).  Art lasts for ever.   The ring I was given for my 21st wore out in a few years...most people don't even remember what they were given to mark an important anniversary.

Many presents that children get these days are quickly used up - one way or another: broken, out dated, shrunk, eaten...but a good artwork will live on.

Sammy

 I think it's important to introduce young people early on to the idea of collecting art; it's an important habit to have.  Much more important than collecting shoes, or movies or popular music or having the latest fad thing everyone else has.

There are so many things to be gained from an art collection.

 When you move apartments, or houses, you can be instantly at home once you've hung your favorite art pieces on the wall.
 Art that will not only make you feel at home, but also make you feel good in some way every time you look at it.
It will help you remember a favorite place or person or pet,.
It will add beauty,  it may make you laugh. It will make you feel better!

Faith


Now what else but Art (and yes I include music!) will do those things?  Some may say - well "maybe a million dollars.." but in fact studies show that once you've got all the basics taken care of (and, yes, that is important) beyond that more money does not make you happy.  Look at all those miserable millionaires you know!  Does the Trump ever look happy??

Gracie
Introducing children to beginning an art collection by giving them paintings, or sculptures, or photographs and so on..art about something they already love.. will attract their attention and their joy.  Their love of the object, even if it's a doleful basset hound or a "don't mess with me" cat, will spread  to the art work and in that way they'll begin to see the value of having art.  So many homes I go into have only calendars and doctor's appointments hanging on the walls, it's so sad...when art can enrich our lives so much.  Begin early!!

Comments? I'd love to know what you think.
I'm off to the studio to make more art...after a nice cup of tea, of course.
If you have been, thanks for reading!
Elizabeth

8 comments:

Dolores said...

Oh heavens, I wish I were one of your grandchildren. I too love art and one of the nicest things my brother ever gave me was a plaque that had Picasso's Blue Nude on it. I still have it. My children have given me artwork through the years because it's what I put on my wish lists.
I have also given art to my children and they have purchased their own favourites for themselves. I am glad of this and hope that they keep it up and pass it on to their own children.

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

I agree with you about art but not about money. We have original art on every wall. And our daughter, an architect, has a deep love of art herself.

I have had the basics of life taken care of for many many years now, and we live quite comfortably. It would be even better if I had several millions in excess. My life would be broader, healthier, safer, more vacation less work and way way way more enjoyable. There is a woman and her two sons in our rent house who have all their needs and wants taken care of by the welfare system. She for sure would be way happier with more money.


Elizabeth Barton said...

Thank you both for writing.
It's interesting, QuiltSwissy, that we do feel as if having more money would make us happier....but the research really doesn't show that. However, I do agree that the best health possible is a basic need. Also safety. The most basic levels of the Maslow triangle.

Margaret said...

My daughter is a skilled photographer who sells her work as cards, prints, bookmarks, and mounted on stretched canvas. She's chosen to have very little on the walls of her wee home -- mainly her own artwork and one or two other favourites. She does, however, commission me to make small matted pieces as gifts for her friends!

As for my own walls...I inherited some lovely oils (landscape/still life) and also needlework and hand-painted plates from my mother and other forebears...and have collected a few prints that I enjoy. Each piece carries the memory of an ancestor or an experience, which means as much to me as the piece itself.

elle said...

Not being very familiar with 'art' in the far past I did like to give 'pictures' for shower presents. Now I make art for my own walls. This Friday the grand kiddies will visit and I've promised we'll make art for their walls. I got a great sale on canvases. lol Next step is to buy art! Thanks, I have been reading!

Turtlemoonimpressions said...

Good for you and good for the grandkids! I'd just add that no one on welfare actually has all their basic needs met. They don't get enough food stamps to eat enough or to eat a nutritionally healthy diet.

Mary Ritter said...

Love the idea of giving the gift of art to children. Art pieces for their walls would be such a lovely memoir, but also the gift of lessons or supplies always brings a smile to their faces. Thanks for the meaningful blog post.

Linda O'Toole said...

My mother is an artist, and for 8 of her grandchildren, she has painted a picture for them for their 21st birthday. The youngest grandchild is 18, and as my mother is 82, and not well, received her art piece early!