(yes, it's a quilt!)
It's a really good to get your art out there, maybe sell something, probably not...but you will always benefit in many other ways.
1. Firstly, it's a really great way to make you finish work!! so often I have a piece almost made and then run into a problem, meanwhile another piece is calling out to be worked on and the first one is put aside..yet another unfinished object circling the orbit of the sewing rooms.....
2. A show forces you into the next step too: Not only to actually getting the work finished but also to prepare it for showing. I have quilts and paintings stacked up...no sleeves on the quilts, no threads nipped off neatly, photographs not taken, rods not cut, paintings not matted, backed and framed etc etc.
4. Letting others see your work and realize they have an Artist in their midst!!
Having to live up to something, really does make us reach higher.
5. Seeing all the work hanging beautifully in whatever facility you've persuaded to show it. It's a real thrill!!
You see the work with new eyes when it's hanging in a gallery.
7. And some really places print up nice postcards!! And (icing!) have an opening!!
OKAY!! so did I take my own advice?? well...come and see:
So, for those of you that are in or near Athens GA....the opening is
Thursday October 1st: 6.00-8.30pm
at Aurum Studios, 125 East Clayton
in Downtown Athens.
I have 4 new quilts, 3 about Athens, Ga and one landscape....and lots of watercolors!
If you have been reading, thank you! If you are planning to come, I look forward to seeing you there...no nice cups of tea alas...but there will be a drop of the stronger stuff and a few good nibbles!!
ps - all comments will be read and cogitated upon with considerable relish!!